Our-Church
Oakham Congregational Church
 4 Coldbrook Rd.   Oakham, MA                                                                  

                                                                                                                    508-882-5537

WelcomeAbout UsOur ChurchOutreachEventsHoliday

About Oakham Congregational Church
The Architecture and Construction of the Oakham Congregational Church
The present church building was erected in 1814. In 1845, the meetinghouse was moved to face west and raised one story. The steeple was erected in the Greek Revival façade with Doric columns added. The original steeple blew down in the hurricane of 1938; the present spire was added in 1941. Installed in the steeple is a 4-face clock and a 1,500 lb. bell. The tower is topped off with a small spire and ancient weather vane. The addition was added to the rear of the church in 1996-97. Like most churches in New England, it is built of wood with some new vinyl siding and painted white.  

The Inside of the Church
The original church remains primarily as originally constructed in 1814 and remodeled in 1845. The vestry area below the sanctuary contains a full service kitchen, youth group room (Rood Room), and an open dining/meeting hall (Fellowship Hall). The church's two front entrance doors open into the narthex, which features lovely curving staircases leading up to the sanctuary on either side.
The addition is a two story structure. The lower level contains two classrooms. The upper level contains the church office, pastoral study, a small sitting room and two handicapped accessible bathrooms. An outside ramp provides wheelchair access to the sanctuary and the second floor offices and bathrooms. The interior staircase in the addition has a chair lift at each level.

The Sanctuary
The sanctuary has retained much of its original architectural detail, including a tin ceiling, crown moldings, and six full length windows with much of the original glazing and high drapes. There are two side aisles, wainscoting, ancient wide floor boards and the original wooden pews with padded cushions. The architectural detail around the chancel and altar is excellent. To the left of the chancel is the imposing Wicks Organ pipe case. To the right are the choir seating and the organ console. The balcony has been refurbished and is open for seating. It gives a beautiful view of the sanctuary below.

​Wicks Organ
The Oakham organ was originally built for Saint Elizabeth Seton Parish in Bedford, NH in 1974 by the Wicks Organ Company. It is comprised of 7 ranks/15 stops spread over two manuals and pedalboard. The pipe components are in a stand-alone case with a pipe façade. The console is a two manual stop tab shell with AGO pedalboard.

​The pipe ranks are:
Swell Division:   8’ Rohrflute,  8' Gemshorn,  4' Nachthorn,  2 2/3' Nazard,  8' Trumpet
Great Division:   8' Principal,  8' Gedeckt,  2' Super Octave
Pedal Division:  16' Sub Bass

The Addition
The addition is a two story structure. The lower level contains two classrooms. The upper level contains the church office, pastoral study, a small sitting room and two handicapped accessible bathrooms. An outside ramp provides wheelchair access to the sanctuary and the second floor offices and bathrooms. The interior staircase in the addition has a chair lift at each level.

​Sunday Service 10:00 am